1. The video interviewed a few people about their experience of becoming a Christian. How would YOU describe becoming a Christian?
2. If someone asked you to explain how to become a Christian, what would you say to them?
THREE IMPORTANT TRUTHS ABOUT CHRISTIANITY
ANYBODY CAN BECOME A CHRISTIAN
The following verses show us just how inclusive the love of God is. After each verse, point out the word that most clearly shows how wide God’s love is. (Answers are underlined)
John 3:16 “For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life.
Revelation 3:20 Behold, I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in to him and eat with him, and he with me.
2 Peter 3:9 The Lord is not slow to fulfill his promise as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing that any should perish, but that all should reach repentance.
3. Do you know anybody who feels like they are not welcomed by Jesus?
WHETHER SOMEONE GOES TO HEAVEN OR HELL DEPENDS ON THEIR RELATIONSHIP WITH JESUS.
John 14:1 “Let not your hearts be troubled. Believe in God; believe also in me. 2 In my Father's house are many rooms. If it were not so, would I have told you that I go to prepare a place for you? 3 And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and will take you to myself, that where I am you may be also. 4 And you know the way to where I am going.” 5 Thomas said to him, “Lord, we do not know where you are going. How can we know the way?” 6 Jesus said to him, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.
4. Where in this passage does it say that Jesus is the only way to heaven?
5. On a scale of 1-10 how seriously do most of your friends take the ideas of heaven and hell? (1 not seriously - 10 very seriously).
Read through the following verses. Notice what the Bible says about heaven and hell.
Matthew 25:41 [HELL] Then he will say to those on his left, 'Depart from me, you cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels.
Revelation 20:14 [HELL] Then death and Hades were thrown into the lake of fire. The lake of fire is the second death. 15 Anyone whose name was not found written in the book of life was thrown into the lake of fire.
John 14:1 [HEAVEN] “Do not let your hearts be troubled. You believe in God; believe also in me. 2 My Father’s house has many rooms; if that were not so, would I have told you that I am going there to prepare a place for you? 3 And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back and take you to be with me that you also may be where I am.
Revelation 21:1 [HEAVEN] Then I saw a new heaven and a new earth, for the first heaven and the first earth had passed away, and the sea was no more. 2 And I saw the holy city, new Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God, prepared as a bride adorned for her husband. 3 And I heard a loud voice from the throne saying, "Behold, the dwelling place of God is with man. He will dwell with them, and they will be his people, and God himself will be with them as their God. 4 He will wipe away every tear from their eyes, and death shall be no more, neither shall there be mourning, nor crying, nor pain anymore, for the former things have passed away."
6. In light of what the Bible says, do we take heaven and hell too seriously or not seriously enough? What is the reason for that?
A RELATIONSHIP WITH JESUS HAPPENS THROUGH FAITH
7. After the resurrection, Jesus met with doubting Thomas. After seeing Jesus, Thomas believed. Thomas’ faith, along with the faith of those who would follow his example was praised by Jesus (John 20:24-31). Why should we be glad that God simply asks us to belief? What do other gods ask of their followers?
8. In Ephesians, Faith is contrasted with works. What phrases contrast faith and works?
Ephesians 2:8 For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, 9 not a result of works, so that no one may boast.
9. In the very next verse though, what does it say we are created for?
Ephesians 2:10 For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand, that we should walk in them.
10. How can we explain the two ways this passage talks about works? Is there a contradiction? FAITH ≠ WORKS & FAITH leads to WORKS
11. The video gave two examples of what faith is like. The first example was of the wheelbarrow crossing Niagra Falls. The second example was to “lean our whole weight” on Jesus. How do these examples help us clear up the confusion of faith & works?
(Answer: In the Bible, true faith always leads to some type of action. See James 2:14-26)
12. The video used the picture of people swimming in the pool to ask how they would describe their relationship with Jesus. Which person in the pool best represents where you’re at?